Dead Men Walking
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A zombie survival d20 Modern PbP game

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
George Carpenter

George Carpenter

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-05-21

What are you reading? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 2:42 pm

I just recently started reading Mainspring by Jay Lake.

It's set on an alternate earth where the planets orbit the sun on heavenly brass gearwork, their orbits literaly brass tracks through space.

The story itself is about a young boy given a mission to wind the spring which keeps the earth moving along it's gear.

A pretty cool book and it's not my usually kind of fiction but I'm liking it.

Last edited by George Carpenter on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Game Master
Admin
Game Master

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Just finished Creepers by David Morrell, and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and I'm in the middle of A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Creepers was a good, straightforward, brainless thriller about urban explorers infiltrating a long-abandoned hotel, Good Omens is a comedic look at the Apocalypse (the Anti-Christ has been misplaced, and is growing up in a small, idyllic British village), A Storm of Swords is solid Martin, if a bit long-winded, and The Road is a grim, prosaic post-apocalyptic novel following a father and his son trying to avoid cannibals, child-molesters, and slavers as they cross the American Southeast in search of an area that isn't covered in ash, dirt, and waste.
Back to top Go down
https://pbpgames.rpg-board.net
George Carpenter

George Carpenter

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Up next I snagged a mint copy of I Am Thinking of My Darling by Vincent McHugh. It's about a happiness virus that spreads across New York City. It makes people lose their inhibitions and won't do anything they don't want to do. Including doing their jobs, so the city grinds to a halt.

It's been described as a happy zombie book. Smile
Back to top Go down
Simon Leeds

Simon Leeds

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Master of the Five Magics
by Lyndon Hardy

I've read this one before and found it at a local used bookstore. Its about this world where there are 5 different kinds of magic, Thaumaturgy, Alchemy, Magic, Sorcery and Wizardry and the man who attempts to learn all 5. Interesting so far, and the rules of each are a bit different then your norm.

On the other hand, if you are looking for an online author, I highly recommend http://www.sennadar.com. James Galloway (Fel) has a few excellent (completed) series:

The Firestaff

• Tower of Sorcery
  • The Questing Game
  • Honor and Blood
  • The Shadow Realm
  • Weavespinner
The Pyrosian Chronicles

• Axe Of The Dwarven King
  • The Sword of Fire
  • Demon's Bane

Subjugation
Insurrection

and one in progress:
Spirit Walker

The first series, The Firestaff is his earliest work and in some places can be hard to read. As well as having a beginning that bears a striking reselmbance to Eye of the World. But still a good read.

The second is the continuation of Tarrin's aventures, and although slow in spots, definatlly makes you want to keep reading.

Subjugation and Insurrection on the other hand are about earth in the near future. The planet has been taken over by a telepathic race called the Faey, turning it into a farming world.

Spirit Walker is a story about a young man who finds that the human race's worst enemy, the half-human half animal race, the Arcan are actually working to save the planet.

As Mark B. will admit, I like weird stuff. So these may not be to everyones likeing.
Back to top Go down
Kelly Taylor

Kelly Taylor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

I am reading the Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon. Something I am sure you would all be very interested in - HA! However, you wives would probably be!
Back to top Go down
Mortimer James McKay

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:40 am

I just finished the second book of the "Godslayer" books by James Clemens, pretty damn good fantasy crap. Not sure if the third is out yet....

I'm about to start the "Watershed" trilogy, somebody told me it was good once I think, plus I got all three books for $8.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dead Men Walking :: Dead Men Walking :: Out-of-Character Posts-
Jump to: